Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Hour :-)

So, its been over a year since I had an entry in this, my second blog - but I'm ready to start back up again doing all sorts of reviews and tips and other random bits of info. I'll use my other blog for more of my personal updates. We'll see if anyone actually realizes I started this blog up again...
Being that with my new job and new schedule, I have 1/2 days every single Friday - one of my summer goals is to find the best happy hours all over the city.


Happy Hours seem to be the late twenties/early thirties/next generation's version of "going out" on a Friday or Saturday night. We have become smarter in our old age and go for the deals after a long day at the office.

So far, here are some of my suggestions for different happy hours around the Minne Cities.

Best Patio: The Liffy
By far, the best patio seating in town, IMHO. The patio is higher up - not exactly a "rooftop" but high enough to feel like you are above the crowd and street. The seating is unique and the views are excellent. To the west, the Cathedral. To the east, the river. On a nice sunny day, it is the best place to kick back - enjoy a Guiness, Jameson or whatever suits your fancy. I prefer a tasty Strongbow or Snakebite (half cider, half harps). Definitely get the appetizer or full meal of the fish and chips - what else tastes better at an Irish Pub?
Now this might not be the cheapest Happy Hour in these tough economic times, but if the mood and the weather suit you - it is one of the best!

Best Sushi: Koyi Sushi

If anyone pays attention to my favorites - then you will definitely know what Koyi Sushi is. Koyi, again IMHO, is the best sushi and best happy hour in the city. A little hidden gem within the madness of downtown Minneapolis, Koyi is located on 4th St in between 1st and 2nd Aves. The happy hour is from 4:30-6:30pm Monday thru Friday. It can sometimes be difficult to find a happy hour on a Friday, especially one that goes as late as 6:30pm. In the past year and a half, I cannot even count how many times Rian and I have gone there for Happy Hour. I think only once we have actually gone during non-happy hour hours and that was for Valentine's Day.
During Happy Hour, Koyi has $4 rolls - maybe 8-10 different ones to pick from including rolls w/o fish, as well as select appetizers for $3-5. Drinks are on special as well - $4 glasses of wine (which is what I usually indulge in), $5 tall japanese beers (great deal on those bad boys) and $4 mixed drinks (the tokyo rose is delish).

Between two people, Rian and I would usually get maybe 5-8 rolls depending on how hungry we are and maybe one or two drinks each. All together, our bill is between $40-60. Which, if you are eating enough sushi for a full meal, is an excellent deal.

One of the downfalls of sushi is the consistancy of flavor and taste. Since sushi is a particular art form and is made by different chefs, a lot of times you can keep going back to the same place but the sushi tastes different every time.
That is NOT the case for Koyi. Everytime I've been there (and trust me, it's been A LOT) the sushi has had the same amazing taste. Incredible.

The plates are always beautifully decorated and come complete with a side of wasabi and a side of ginger. Although, when Rian and I eat sushi together, we turn the plate so that the side of wasabi is facing him and the side of ginger is facing me. Fresh ginger is like candy to me - it has an amazingly unique taste, and it is so good!
One of my favorite things about sushi is that when you are eating it, it tastes so fresh. You really feel like you are putting good, natural, healthy things in your body. Depending on what kinds you get (excluding any deep fried tempura), the rice and seaweed, fish and veggies make for mouth-watering, fresh meal.

My favorites include:

Spicy Shrimp Roll
Salmon Avocado Roll
Rainbow Roll

IF anyone is willing/wanting to try this place - just let me know and I'll be there with you, chopsticks in hand!

More Best of...Happy Hours to come...

No comments: